Thursday, July 1, 2021

The Joy A Garden Brings

This is my last post as editor of the blog. I've lost count of how many posts I have written, the number of garden visits I attended, notebook and camera at the ready, or the hours and hours of research required for this basic gardener to feel comfortable with the information I was sharing. It has all benefited me enormously. 

A huge thanks to all the people who have supported me with advice, photographs, beautifully written articles and validating comments. My garden club media partners Chris and Joyce were my rocks and rock stars.

I'm bowing out on a note of indulgence. The following is a slice of my own gardening history. 

Happy Gardening, Sue

Soon after I had graduated as a recreation therapist I was interviewed for a job at a long term care facility. They told me they had a strong horticulture programme and asked I felt I had the skills to maintain it. Though I had, as yet, no garden of my own, I placed my trust in the gardening gods and my ancestors, crossed my fingers and responded enthusiastically. How hard could it be?

My first day I was given a tour of the garden; it was larger than I expected, an acre larger!  I was told summer students cut the grass and took care of the heavy work but I would be responsible for planting, watering and light maintenance (whatever that meant). The tour ended in the greenhouse. On the walls hung 5  first place plaques from the city wide annual gardening competition. “We are very proud of our success,” said my guide, meaningfully. Panic gripped me with a very cold hand.

However, all was not lost. I figured the facility residents had, between them, thousands of years of gardening knowledge. I confessed my inexperience. It was met with shocked silence. Then, bless them, my aged and frail new friends rose to the task. 

What a glorious first summer we enjoyed.  We spent hours in the garden every day. Those who were able planted and weeded the raised beds. The frailer people sat in the sunshine and offered advice and support. Coffee and tea breaks were spent amongst the flowers chatting, reminiscing, swapping tips and laughing. Lots of laughing. The joy of being needed was powerful medicine.  We bonded through the passing of knowledge. There were a few setbacks, like the time a slightly challenged but enthusiastic group removed all the flowers along with the weeds. "Well done", I said to the proud little faces and spent my lunch break replanting.

We entered the competition. Judgement Day arrived. I was in a terrible state of nerves. It seemed like the whole facility came out for the verdict. What if I had let my people down? We did it, first place again. My knees buckled with relief. I cried, my mentors clucked and soothed, we all laughed, there was lots of hugging. We worked so hard to get plaque number six and I'm sure it was the sweetest of them all.

I spent many more happy years at the facility but there will always be something special about that first summer. The memories of that precious time, those sweet faces, accompany me as I work in my own garden. I am blessed.






7 comments:

  1. Thank you for service on the Powell River Garden Club Blog. I have enjoyed reading the blogs, and looking at the beautiful photos. I really enjoyed your sharing your first experience as a gardener, working as a recreational therapist at a long term care facility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done Sue. Loved your personal story and now you need to keep writing, you definitely have a knack.xxxLiane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your wonderful story & all the work on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful uplifting history of your beginnings in gardening. Enjoy your time in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sue for all your work on the blog.Always a treat to read.Loved this last personal
    bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful Sue! What a wonderful story! Your writing skills and gift for storytelling are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've certainly enjoyed and appreciated all your efforts on the blog. Thank you Sue & good luck going forward.

    ReplyDelete

When you visit let us know by leaving a comment. If you have a gmail account you can comment using the google designation in the "comment as" box. If not you will need to scroll down in the "comment as" box until you reach anonymous at the bottom. Click on it as your choice. Write your comment, add your first name or initials and hit the PUBLISH button.