May 16, 2016
To all Members of the Powell River Salmon Society,
Friends of the Lang Creek Native Plant Garden
We are delighted to report that the Salmon Garden is now complete and ready for viewing!
This garden art installation, which features metal sculptures, rock, driftwood, and a variety of ornamental grasses and other perennials, pays homage to our wild salmon 365 days of the year. Situated at the entrance to the PRSS Salmon Hatchery property, it welcomes visitors from around the world with a beautiful, dramatic, entrance to Lang Creek centre.
We are also very pleased to report that the new improved garden includes a wheelchair accessible viewing area. The project as a whole has required several work parties and its completion was possible through the dedication and contributions of many. Appreciation & Special Thanks to our Artists and Designers: Peter Elvy of Wolfworks Blacksmithing and Metal Art for his donation of metal salmon and on site welding and Ewan MacKenzie of Exemplar Horticulture Ltd. for donating an original garden design, 361 grasses, and other perennials.
● Dave Williams for backhoe work and rock design
● Liz Kennedy, Gerry & Gail Scholefield, Michael Stewart, Laura Johnson, and Tommy Illes for model salmon markers and layout
● George Illes, Terry Powell, John Philpott, and Bob Johnson for metal rod installation
● John Philpott and Neil Park for irrigation installation
● Dan Stevens of Select Sand and Gravel for crushed rock for wheelchair area
● Bonnie Robinson of T&R Contracting Ltd. for her donation of custom mixed garden soil
● Michael and Rob Stewart for landscape fabric
● Ron Pfister of Mother Nature for landscape fabric
Steering Committee Members for coordination, communications and project design Laura Johnson, Michael Stewart, Liz Kennedy, Gail Scholefield, and Wendy Cocksedge.
To all Friends of the Garden and Powell River Salmon Society Volunteers,
the Salmon Garden would not exist without you!