Tuesday, February 17, 2015

February Book Review

Introducing the first book review in our monthly series. This month a guide to vegetable growing in the Pacific North West reviewed by Sharon.


This week I picked up Lorene Edwards Forkner's "The Timber Press Guide to Vegetable Gardening in the Pacific Northwest".


It is an American publication but does cover gardening zones up to Nanaimo which I consider "close enough" to what I can expect in Powell River. As a newbie to this gardening zone, I am finding it quite informative. 

It has an easy to read plan for each month with sections on what to plan, prepare/maintain, sow/plant and harvest. 

The book is well laid out with good diagrams and short sections on everything from types of trellises to companion planting to composting to cover crops. 

The back third of the book outlines individual vegetables - how to grow, harvest and the different varieties. I would recommend it. I think I will refer to it often.

I bought it at Breakwater Books but here's the link.

Editor's notes:
Lorene Forkner
"Whether I’m digging a hole for my latest garden addition, reveling in the changing light of the season, or enjoying exquisite flavors of the harvest, I never tire of exploring details of the natural world. Oh, and I love to tell stories. I am always planting, mixing things up in the kitchen, experimenting and going on about home, garden, work and play.

I’m a handmade gardening gal – part eco-friendly, non-traditionalist, part crafty creative with more ideas than money. My garden is my canvas, my vision, and my voice. A place where I am free of all rules, except those of Nature herself." LF

Timber Press has some interesting titles on their list.
Timber Press: Our mission is to share the wonders of the natural world by publishing books from experts in the fields of gardening, horticulture, and natural history.

email your reviews to powellrivergardenclub@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you visit let us know by leaving a comment. If you have a gmail account you can comment using the google designation in the "comment as" box. If not you will need to scroll down in the "comment as" box until you reach anonymous at the bottom. Click on it as your choice. Write your comment, add your first name or initials and hit the PUBLISH button.